Friday 26 February 2010

picnik - no walk in the park!

I had serious problems with picnik; not with the function itself but with getting the site to work. I guess you could say I had serious problems with flash player, confounded further by the fact I am doing the majority of my "Things" in the workspace rather than using my laptop at home. The version of flash player used at the Bodleian is fine but I found myself in a "virtual memory pop-up box" loophole nightmare. When I finally found a way of getting into the site satisfactorily via a slightly different address, I decided to put off my editing skills to the next morning. The problem with that was I spent the next morning at the HCL Cairns Library where the version of flash player is... not up-to-date enough! Gah!

I'm sad to say I had further problems with picnik the next day but I think I can blame the flash settings rather than the site itself. I was not able to use the interactive flickr feature, so I had to upload and save my files manually. Anyway, I had a bash and came up with these:


A bit of extreme colour and exposure manipulation in the first one gave us the nice orange and blue contrast that does not exist in the original, and more subtle changes in the second one with some text added.

I don't think I'll be using picnik again. It's a cute site and quite attractive, but requires a lot of memory to run, which is unlikely to be a problem for most people. The editing tools were a bit basic (although fine) and I must confess it took me a while to discover the framing, editing and "stickers" tools which were more fun. All in all, more fun than fab, but I reckon you can get a lot more out of free-to-download software such as GIMP.

No comments:

Post a Comment